Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Journey Begins...

Everyday I wake up and glance at my queen's crown. Flashbacks of the laughs, the tears, the bonding time with 15 beautiful, talented, and caring black women. This may be mushy or too sentimental, but it was most definitely a dream come true for me. I attend a school where i've seen maybe 15 black students since starting in the fall of '08 as a freshman. Don't get me wrong, I love Concordia University, but being a Miss Black Oregon delegate felt like being wrapped in a warm and familiar quilt. All of me was in this to become Miss Black Oregon, but slowly, I started seeing it as a time spent with girls who were becoming both my "sisters" and my "sistahs" in a very real way. 
I don't know if being a true, home-gown, and green Oregon will distort the views toward me being the symbol of black women striving from success. Sometimes I think coming from a small community with people always reminding me of who I am will work in my favor. Growing up in Oregon, I've known I was different for a while now. It's not only because of my rich culture, but because of my ideals, my passion, and my compassion. 

So, with that said, I am more than proud to represent evergreen trees, roses, my community, and every city from Astoria to Ashland and everywhere in between.  I am walking into this with and open mind and an open heart.





Photobucket

Chelsea Deloney
Miss Black Oregon USA 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment